Frequently asked questions

call us

Frequently asked questions

What repairs is my landlord responsible for?

There are a variety of landlord repairing obligations related to housing repairs. It’s their responsibility and duty to keep the property at a reasonable state of repair, throughout the tenancy. If the tenants inform the landlord of any disrepair, it’s the landlord’s duty to make any necessary repairs.

The landlord is required to keep the property at a certain standard throughout the tenancy. This includes:

  • Repair any installations in the property. These can include the water, electricity, gas etc.
  • Repair any external property, such as pipes, drains & gutters.
  • Repair any internal property, such as walls, stairs, railings, appliances etc.

How much notice do I have to give my landlord?

You are required to give your landlord 21 days notice before making a housing disrepair claim. Accordingly, if you notice disrepair in the property, you must first inform the landlord of this. You can contact them via phone, person, letter or E-Mail. We recommend contacting by one of the latter two, enabling easier proof of your contact.

If they reply within the 21 days, you must then give them a reasonable amount of time to fix the issue. Understandably, the bigger the disrepair, the longer it will take.

What can I claim for in disrepair cases?

You are able to claim for a varying sum of compensation, depending on what you are claiming for. If injured due to disrepair, you are able to claim for:

  • Medical costs
  • Pain and suffering
  • Loss of wages
  • After care
  • Medication

The claim can also go towards fixing the disrepair and compensation for any suffering caused from it, i.e. dampness, mould and lack of heating etc.

I wish to make a claim. What’s next?

If you believe you have a housing repair claim, your next step should be contacting one of our specialist solicitors. They examine all disrepair cases and will decide whether you are viable for a claim and compensation.

To make this next step, please head to our Claim Online page for more information and our contact details

Housing Disrepair Claims

To start your housing disrepair claim today or to find out more about claiming ... or give us a call for free on 01626 248608 and speak with one of our advisers.

No Win No Fee

*No Win No Fee: Our No Win No Fee policy only applies to cases involving council owned properties and those owned by housing associations. No Win No Fee does not apply in cases where the property is owned by a private or commercial landlord.